Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The movies of our childhood

Elizabeth is coming of age, a little bit, and we've slowly allowed/encouraged her to read more mature books and watch more mature movies.

Shortly after we moved into our new house -- which seems somehow to have become a blog-free zone, for which we apologize -- Cate and I brainstormed a list of the quintessential movies of our childhood. For example, when I was Elizabeth's age, I remember Pa taking me to see War Games in the theater. I remember specifically because I got up to go to the bathroom while he was asleep and got in trouble because he woke up and I was gone!

Many of these movies fly past us on DirecTV, and we try to capture them on the DVR. Elizabeth has already watched War Games and Ghostbusters, which is a Cate personal favorite. She's also seen Raiders of the Lost Ark. Here are the other movies she and I identified:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Back to the Future
The Birds
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
E.T.
Field of Dreams
Hoosiers
The Hunt for Red October
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Jaws
Space Camp
Star Trek (original cast, movies 2, 3, 4 and 6)
Star Wars

For Star Wars, that's the original trilogy -- it's funny to hear Elizabeth and Robert refer to the movie we all know as simply Star Wars by calling it Star Wars: A New Hope.

These are primarily movies of the late '70s and '80s, but I would say almost anything is up for discussion. What would you add?

8 comments:

Da said...

"A River Runs Through It"
"The Gods Must Be Crazy"
"As Good As It Gets"
"The Natural"
"Amadeus"
That's a start.

Patrick said...

I am not sure Elizabeth is ready for As Good As It Gets ... :)

But otherwise, a good list.

Patrick said...

It occurred to me this morning that Elizabeth has already been to As Good As It Gets. Of course, we were measuring her age in terms of weeks at that point, and, thankfully, we slept through it.

Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest "The Natural" but see that it is already taken. How about City Slickers?

Claire said...

Didn't mean to click on Anonymous. Claire here!

Nanny (aka Mom) said...

How about "Princes Bride" "Space Camp" or my personal favorite "Dogma"

I sure do miss you guys! Did you get the snowblower yet???

Cate said...

Sat is a big night for our list - AMC is showing "2001" "2010" and "Close Encounters" - all set to record :)

Elizabeth said...

I've already seen "Princess Bride" It's awesome!