Sunday, December 7, 2008

The masters

Elizabeth and Robert both came home from Chess Club on Friday afternoon a little deflated. Neither of them won a game and Robert didn't even want to talk about it. (Of course, he's playing against second and third graders.)

Elizabeth and I have played a couple games of chess in the evenings since they started playing at school, but it's been a while. Da took up the challenge and has given Elizabeth a couple of practice games this weekend.

It's a learning experience for Elizabeth, who is having trouble keeping her pieces on the board. I came in to help her out late in a game on Friday night and I stressed with her the importance of playing it out a move or two ahead. I wasn't around on Saturday night but Da reports that Elizabeth made him work for his checkmate. So hopefully this Friday will go a little better for her.

2 comments:

Neil said...

And he doesn't take it easy on your just because you're a kid. I remember getting my, uh, hat handed to me often in chess. More often in Scrabble.

Neil said...

Also, she seems to be playing his pieces... which I'm pretty sure isn't allowed.