Monday, February 2, 2009

Audition time

I've been preparing for almost a month for tonight's audition with the Bloomington Chorale. I didn't have to audition to get into the group, but there are many solo parts in this spring's concert series and I'm hopeful of getting at least one.

This has been a great experience. I heard the chorale sing in concert back in December and decided this would be a good outlet for me, since I was looking for something in addition to the church choir. This group, like most, has a very small tenor section. I'm one of four.

It turns out three of the four of us are auditioning tonight. There are about a dozen parts available. It's comforting to know I'm not the best in this group, not by a long shot, but it was suggested to me that I should audition anyway, as they can split the parts up.

I've been working pretty hard on two pieces and when I saw nobody was auditioning for a third one, I threw my name in just for the heck of it. I've been trying to take care of my voice as much as possible -- if you can picture just one drink on Super Bowl Sunday! I've had more tea to drink in the past 24 hours than beer.

And I'm a little nervous. The last time I had an audition I cared this much about, it was to get into the music school in college. And that was taped. This would be a little different, and if I'm fortunate enough to be given a piece, it'll mean for the first time that people are paying to attend a concert in which I am soloing.

Note that I didn't say people are paying to hear me solo. I'm not that foolish!

Now I'm just killing the last few minutes before leaving. I don't want to be late, but I suspect I'll be very early.

7 comments:

Nanny (aka Mom) said...

Patrick, wishing all the best...break a leg! I know you will enjoy the experience!

Anonymous said...

I remember that first audition tape well. I bet we still have a copy of it somewhere. Ave Maria, right?? Don't break a leg!! Too many steps in this house.

The Coleman Family said...

Ave Maria, an Irish folk song and an aria from Handel's Messiah. Jeff Judge accompanied me on the piano and Chris White, of course, was the sound engineer. :)

The Coleman Family said...

So, there were nine auditioning, and three of the four tenors. Six of them had sung solos in their concert I saw in December.

It occurred to me, as I saw the group and knew what I had signed up to sing, that I could very well be called on to lead off. So when the director called my name, I wasn't surprised.

I feel like I really nailed the first piece. Unfortunately, the first one wasn't the one I wanted most. But I thought I knocked it out of the park and the other tenor who auditioned for it was alright, but not great. Our best tenor didn't sing for that piece.

I was disappointed with how I did on the second piece. It was passable but not anywhere near how I rehearsed. We didn't sing the third -- with 33 solo pieces to hand out we could've been there all night at that rate.

In total I sang about 25 measures. And they'll make a decision from that. Will find out next week, I guess.

Unknown said...

and just how early were you?

Ryan said...

Plácido Domingo and José Carreras and Pat Coleman. :)

The Coleman Family said...

Got there 15 minutes before call time and 25 minutes before my name was called. :)