Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Breaking the mold

Robert's wedding cake turned into a disaster, but when rebranded as a "lone volcano," it ended up winning first prize.

Sadly, Patrick didn't take a picture of it because he was so crestfallen and he didn't want to remind him that it wasn't what he was hoping. You can see it off to the right of the white rabbit with the spooky eyes.

Robert's was a too-tall jello mold (three tier). We think our jello wasn't sturdy enough for the height. And Robert carried it on the plate for a while so it got extra jiggled. It sort of melted/fell over. He was very upset and then was very surprised when they announced his name about a half hour later.

He was even more surprised when he found out there was an actual prize (a clip-on pen). He said, "I thought I just won but really there's a prize too!!!"

We think his natural charm had a lot to do with it. Teenage girls (in charge of the tallying) love him.

We might work with the jiggler recipe next year. Elizabeth's design held together better with the sturdier jello.

This was a Pizza/Jello/Bingo Night at church. Not sure how such a tradition got started but the Bingo cards were circa 1955. I was shuddering at the idea of kids with sticky jello fingers (you get to share the jello creations for dessert) playing bingo with those vintage cards.

7 comments:

Da said...

I hadn't thought about this in at least four decades, certainly not when you noted at home the age and gender of the jello jury, but when I read it in the Couch blog I remembered three high school girls descending on me in early Spring (in Texas, so it was late February, about the time I learned to tie my shoes) in 1952, while I was swinging in the school yard, who asked me if I would be a page for the May Fest. I was six and didn't know enough to ask what a page was or a what a May Fest was for that matter, but I said "Yes" and went on swinging once they got out of my way. Days later I found out that they had contacted my mother, and I had to go with her to the house of one of these girls and was measured for a garment, all white and not in the style I was accustomed to in the 'hood. I was to learn that I had to walk down an aisle in the school auditorium holding her train (or is it trane or other). In the end all this came to pass. But, 57 years later, I can really empathize with Robert, while congratulating him on his effect on older women. Apparently, I retained that ability for at least twenty-some years. Go for it, Robert!!! It will serve you well. By the 2020s, it will come in handy.

Anonymous said...

I recall a rather humiliating photo of a younger you in a white satin outfit, perhaps even a cape? Was that May-related?

Nanny (aka Mom) said...

What's a few huniliating photos when you can get the chicks????

Neil said...

I know the photo - white outfit, shorts with saddle shoes?, blond(!) curly(!) hair, and a trophy, right?

Anonymous said...

The picture is on the "whatnotshelf" in the stairway.. Next to it is a picture of me as "May Queen" in kindergarten. Surprising it was a public school event. Lanarae Haines and I received the same number of votes so we shared the title. I think it was the last time I won an election.

Da said...

Humiliating, Cate? Or, maybe, it humiliating for you to look at it? Yes, I think a cape, but, no, not a May event as far as I recall. This was some beautiful kid contest that Mom entered me in. [I won]. All you second- and third-borns, etc. think being the oldest is a bowl of cherries. That beauty pageant is just the tip of the iceberg. After all, who is the guinea pig for their theories of parenting? The starter kid, the tackling dummy. ["Let's run it up the flagpole and see if the kid salutes."] It's a wonder I survived at all unless you know my sisters, then you realize that the folks had only a couple of years to dote on me before the real trouble came. Now, that was cool, ten, fifteen years under the radar while they dealt with estrogen, by then I was gone.

Alicia Coleman said...

I'll bite on this Da tangent. I completely agree about the guinea pig reality of being the oldest, but with it comes the first pick. My sister, although interested, couldn't bring herself to take violin or dance lessons. Those were my interests, and therefor "taken." So it's worth a beauty pageant or two, in my opinion.