Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Four

Happy Birthday, Colleen! Cake will come later. I promise.

This morning I asked Colleen what she wanted for breakfast, waffles or a bagel. She looked around the kitchen curiously and said "I don't see a cake." She thought the cake came first thing, like finding a quarter from the Tooth Fairy under your pillow or something. Cake will have to wait until her party on Saturday but she did recieve three phone calls today with special birthday wishes from Nanny, her Godmother Jennifer, and Nonna (on her own birthday vacation in sunny Iowa).

And... she and Cousin Amelia had their first fight at lunch. Amelia really wanted to trade her sippy cup for Colleen's water bottle. Amelia tried to hand it to her but Colleen said, "I have my own water. I don't want yours." Amelia grunted and tried again a few more times, with pointing and everything. Amelia finally gave up and chucked the sippy cup at Colleen's head. She's pretty strong and of course hit her mark. Colleen whipped around and shouted at her, "Amelia, you are so rude. I don't like you anymore and you are NEVER getting my water!" Amelia screamed right back, something which will in the near future be "MINE!"

The argument didn't last past Amelia's tears because Colleen then gave her a kiss on her cheek and told her "Poor little kid. Don't be sad. " Amelia forgave her too, leaned in for another kiss and patted Colleen on her shoulder. Amelia then handed her some watermelon to share and Colleen accepted it. Awww.

Colleen just came in as I'm writing this. She wants to know why her name is everywhere. I told her that I'm writing about her birthday. She wants you all to know that she looked but there was no cake.

6 comments:

Jensens6021 said...

SO FUNNY! Cate- you need to blog more often. Much more captivating story-telling than your husband. :)

nonna said...

Colleen, If Nonna was there you could have cake for breakfast. I didn't get cake on my birthday either.
I promise to bake you a doll cake for your birthday. what color should her dress be??
Did you get the present I left for you?? It is on the dining room table. It has a purple ribbon.

Neil said...

That is the most amusing thing I have read in a really, really long time. It is today's my-favorite-thing-ever.

Cate said...

Um. You might be sorry you asked, Nonna. Colleen says she would like the dress to be blue with fish and diamonds on it, "but maybe tan too." Tan frosting?!

It's REALLY hard not to laugh when kids are so upset. Their expressions were awesome.

Neil said...

Seriously, I'm still laughing about this.

Tammi M said...

Cake for breakfast is such a great idea. It can't be any worse than a pop-tart, doughnut or some of the muffins we've had... Yes, this sounds like a new tradition!
Hope you all have a great celebration today!