Sunday, September 25, 2011

In defense of editing

There was a point about seven or eight years ago when I realized that I would not end up working at a newspaper for my entire career. Within the past few years, I had a similar epiphany about being a journalist.

I've been a journalist, by anyone's definition, since January of 1993, when I started covering the men's basketball team for the student newspaper at Catholic University. I became the sports editor the next fall, then was No. 2 at the paper the next semester. Before graduation, I was hired as a part-time agate clerk for Baseball Weekly, and after a winter off, came back full time when the 1994 baseball work stoppage was settled.

I have always been an advocate for editing, even at a student newspaper, which was sometimes a tough sell. At Baseball Weekly I spent hours watching over Margaret McCahill's shoulder, learning even more about editing. I eventually became a copy editor, and grew to pick up a lot of other skills along the way, some related to journalism, others to project management, content strategy, social media and web analytics.

But even though journalism and editing are not as valued as they once were, I will always be an editor, deep down. And what has happened to editing over the past few years is troubling.

Proofreading is not a replacement for editing. And spell-check is not a replacement for proofreading.

Recently there was an insert into our church's weekly bulletin with a letter from the church school's principal. It contained an error, where a sentence read, "... with food, fellowship and games run by out 8th graders." I don't know how many eighth graders are out. Spell-check doesn't know the difference between out and our. We also received a newsletter from the Bloomington public schools with a typo in the very first sentence of the lead story, which was a letter from the superintendent of schools.

And these are our educators. It's difficult for me to accept this from people paid to educate our children, even though I know they are simple typos. It's the lack of attention and care paid to writing that's the issue. But it's not as bad as it could be. I see posts from some people who home-school their children which are also riddled with misspellings and I cringe.

There's a local online news outlet that consistently confuses its with it's. And said news outlet doesn't seem to read its Facebook feed's comments to see what people are saying about its coverage, which is a social media failure even if there weren't errors.

The irony hasn't escaped me that I am writing this defense of editing on a blog, which is one of the least-edited mediums there is. And I know that newspapers place less and less emphasis on editing with every round of layoffs. But editing is not a luxury. As Arthur Polotnik said, "You write to communicate to the hearts and minds of others what's burning inside you. And we edit to let the fire show through the smoke."

Everything can be edited: news copy, blog posts, emails, Facebook statuses, tweets, you name it. And if you're a company which interfaces with the public, you should hire me to do it.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Well, BMTN does read them or at least they will comment on their own postings from time to time; but maybe we can get you in touch with Rick K. and get you a job there? :)

I see this stuff all over the place. On my worst days I just start marking every error in comments. What makes it worse (in my opinion) is that many of these places use a web browser with a spell check engine built into it... and they miss those tipos [sic].

Jensens6021 said...

I work in the interactive division for a multi-channel retailer.

Upper management doesn't seem to understand the importance of having an editor or even a dedicated proof-reader (at minimum) on the staff. I can't tell you how many eyeballs review and approve site elements, yet weekly, we miss 'typos.'

I recently asked the manager of creative services how the two copy writers QA their work, she replied the Sr. Copywriter reviews the work of not only the other copywriter's work, but his own. So we are left with professionals not trained in editing and proof-reading to spot the errors before the customer sees it.

When a banner goes live on my site with an error on it, I get the call, not creative services. I get the feedback on my review that nothing less than flawless execution is acceptable. How is that supposed to work?

If I had the budget, I would hire you. I just hope other companies have a higher regard for editors than my company.
Good luck in your search.

Da said...

Here, here! Or is it "hear, hear!" I suspect it's (or is it "its") not "hier, hier," or "heer, heer," but I really don't know the etymology (often confused with "entomology")of the term. The Brits use "here, here" (etc.) a lot (just listen to the BBC report from Parliament, but maybe it's (its) Spanish... "jeer, jeer."

I got carried away, sorry. I really was moved to write ("right" or "rite"?) (oh, I forgot "wright") because I am from that school that believes the plural (pleural?) of "medium" is "media."

Da said...

Oh, and don't forgot you could win the Pullet Surprise if you right good.

Unknown said...

You people deserve each other

nonna said...

Words, words, words I'm so sick of words...