Friday, September 23, 2011

Smells like autumn

All three kids are in school full day for the first time and I am still at home all day, but now with a little more time on my hands. With the youngest two out the door by 8:15, that's plenty of time to think about dinner.

Yesterday morning I took advantage of that time to put a pork roast in the slow cooker. But instead of the standard pulled pork recipe, I gave it a bit of a autumn flavor, subbing out the onions for two medium-small Honeycrisp apples and adding a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar. I sliced the apples nice and thin so that they would basically fall apart. We don't like as much of a vinegar taste to our pulled pork, so I put in about half the normal amount and used water for the rest.

I just love how a roast fills the kitchen with the aroma of a meal to come. It cooked even more quickly than I anticipated, so it was ready to taste when the kids came home. Elizabeth loves just about everything, so she was easily pleased. Robert was intrigued, and ended up liking his sample as well. As for Colleen, well, you can't account for taste from a 6-year-old.

Next time I plan to add another half an apple, and I'm thinking about putting the onions back in for more of a savory flavor. It worked great on toasted buns, to keep the sandwich from falling apart, although Elizabeth campaigned for egg noodles. That will have to be some other time, however.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's an interesting variation on a pulled pork dish! I am very impressed that you were able to find a famed Honeycrisp apple. Apples and pork go very well together, but neither of my kids like pork done with fruit. I would imagine a bit of salt and onion would help balance the sweetness nicely.

I usually get a pork loin and soak it for a few days in Italian salad dressing. Then, depending on my mood, I can grill it or cook it in a casserole dish, uncovered. Either way, tasty pork in under a half hour!

Patrick said...

I did have salt and pepper as well, but I considered that part of the base recipe and didn't focus on it. It also had a small amount of red pepper, but that didn't really come through.

Minnesota is the epicenter of the Honeycrisp apples and the kids just love them, thankfully!

Google's word verification for this comment, coincidentally: feast.

Unknown said...

Anytime you want to send some to NJ, let me know!

nonna said...

Had an apple from your tree yesterday and it was delicious. Are there any left???

cbcoleman said...

Tons! Come on over. Or shall I put the kids to work? ;)