Friday, March 28, 2008

Backseat Driver

Almost 3 years old and already a backseat driver. While Elizabeth used to freak out when I made a right turn on red - "No! Don't do it!" and Robert liked to announce "Red means stop and green means go" at every traffic light, Colleen has taken it to new levels.

On a 30 minute drive into Tysons Corner this morning I fielded shouts from the backseat like "Don't turn
that way; go that way" (vigorous pointing, [probably] coincidentally toward a McDonald's) and "Oh no! A car!" (opposing traffic turning in front of us) and my personal favorite "Watch out! A hill!" What she thought could happen on a hill I don't know but she closed her eyes just in case.

I'm really not that bad of a driver. Honestly.

The driver gets a moment's peace in January, with Colleen asleep at the backseat wheel.

4 comments:

The Coleman Family said...

That's a perfect description of how I felt pretty much every time I drove into or out of Tysons at rush hour. Thankfully most of my USA Today commute was off hours. :)

- Patrick

Nanny (aka Mom) said...

Just wait until she is driving in Tysons!

nonna said...

Wait until she rides with Da! I have often closed my eyes when he drives.

Unknown said...

I am not much of a driver, so i won't say much here. But I'll tell a story from last dDecember when Emma was three.

We were visiting my college basketball coach in Georgia and had tro drive up from Atlanta. It was before I had my beloved GPS. We didn't exactly get lost, but we were a bit umm ... flummoxed ... yeah that's it!

So we turned around a few times. As I was turning around one time, Emma announced "That's Three!" No judgement, no criticism. Just letting me know that she happily knew!