Sunday, March 16, 2008

Elizabeth can see

It's a very busy time in the Coleman household, but it's necessary to report that Elizabeth can see again.

Recently, I got new glasses for the first time in nearly two years. (I still had Gannett glasses, which I bought on my last day of work for USA Today. Never bought GE glasses, though I really considered it. Shockingly, our eye care insurance is pretty good right now.)

When I was looking at frames, Elizabeth came out with some pairs of frames as well. I quizzed her a little and she said she'd been having trouble reading the blackboard at school.

This was a shock, since last I knew she was sitting in the front row. But no longer. Elizabeth was fairly irate, since she said she'd told Cate she needed glasses already. So we resolved to get her an appointment in the near future.

But last weekend, when Elizabeth and I were in Gettysburg, the point was driven home to me very forcefully. I pointed out an historical marker across the street from us downtown and started to read it off, and she said, "You can read that?"

Immediately on the phone to Cate. She had her appointment on Saturday. And here we are.

Taking odds on how long it takes to lose them, or for Colleen to steal them.

4 comments:

Neil said...

E, I remember getting glasses before I started 3rd grade. We walked outside and I remember being able to see the leaves on the trees across the parking lot for the first time. Then I spent the whole ride home reading off street signs from as far away as I could.
Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Unknown said...

It was the summer between 4th and 5th grade and we were crossing the street in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I realized I could not read the walk/don't walk signs. I had glasses before school started.

nonna said...

You look so grown up with glasses! Isn't it great to be able to see?
Your Uncle Neil never lost his gasses and his little brother Ryan never stole them.

Da said...

I was in college when I first got my glasses, but my eyes were beginning to fail senior year of high school. I remember that I failed the eye test (not 20-20)and thus failed the Navy ROTC physical. I had been intent on going to Notre Dame on a navy scholarship, that surely would have meant I went to Nam, never met Donna, and the whole world would have been different...just because I was not 20-20 in my left eye...wow, I didn't know that was coming at me. Keep you glasses close by, Elizabeth, you never know how it might change the world.

-Da