Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My little girl *sniff sniff*

Elizabeth went on a field trip today to the Waterford One Room Schoolhouse. The whole class, including her teacher, Miss Jones, dressed in 19th century costumes. We cooked up a costume from an old dress of mine, black tights, braids with ribbons on the ends, a homemade mop cap (courtesy of her friend, Nicole) and brown shoes. She also carried a basket for her lunch wrapped in parchment paper - no ziploc bags allowed in the 19th century. The only modern invention she brought was her umbrella but thankfully she didn't need to use it.

Anyway, this post is not about the field trip per se. It's about the shoes. She got new shoes for the occasion (could only find one shoe of her previous pair). And, drum roll please, the new pair was a ladies size 7. And they aren't too big on her. She probably needs a 7.5 but she was asleep last night when I made the shoe-emergency run to The Circle Store, a.k.a. Target.

My little girl is growing up so quickly. I see photos of her new cousin, Amelia, and it's like seeing Elizabeth (but with lots more hair). It feels like just yesterday that I was holding her in my arms. Now I'm trying not to cry. I should listen to my mother more. She told me then that this would happen.

I felt just as blown away when I saw that little bit of tooth showing in her baby gums. I basically had a panic attack. My thoughts went from "how cute - her first tooth" to "Oh No! She's going to use that tooth to chew food! And she'll ride a bike and she'll ride a school bus without me and she'll graduate from high school and college and she'll be grown up before I get a chance to blink!!" Size 7 shoe and growing... we're well on our way.

7 comments:

Neil said...

Ours, on the other hand, will remain a baby forever. Well, not forever ever.
This post begs for a photo, BTW.

The Coleman Family said...

My growing girl is camera shy. She'd rather be the one taking the photos.

nonna said...

This is a test for mom.

Alicia Coleman said...

Shoes punctuate a life's story. My punctuation include: childhood ballet shoes, the combat boots in college, my perfect wedding shoes... and now my child's little tiny shoes that never touch the ground. Crying over shoes is completely expected!

The Coleman Family said...

Welcome Aunt Alicia! Hope you are feeling better. Robert recommends orange juice for your hurt back because "orange juice always makes you feel better." And also he wants to tell you that "the train station where you had your wedding is turning into apartments that are very fancy- we saw them for sale online."

Anonymous said...

I had something very profound to say about this post when it first appeared but now I have forgotten it! Patrick may have solved my user problems however.

Anonymous said...

To Cate---it is sad to realize how quickly the kids grow up but it is comforting to watch them use their wings and soar! Enjoy the daily moments because the years fly by. I already see a change in baby Amelia.