Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Colleen's own Word World

Colleen's vocabulary has made leaps and bounds in the past year but some of it still only makes sense in her own head. Some of her word combinations make me smile. When someone is holding her and she wants to be put down... "put you down me!" We know exactly what she's saying although we don't put those words together quite that way.

She received a birthday gift from her godmother, Jennifer Jensen, a game featuring the very popular (at least in our house) PBS show, Word World. The characters are animated using their letters for their bodies - it's hard to explain so go to www.pbskids.org if you haven't seen it yet. In fact between Word World and Super Why! (also, PBS) she learned her letters long ago.

Colleen's initial reaction was "Awesome! Word World!" and then demanding that I open the box so she could play. She was so excited she was all clenched and shaking like a leaf. She and Robert were playing nicely with her chanting the letters "E E E E E E E E" while Robert fetched them for her "Sheesh Colleen here's an E." After few minutes of playing she got distracted and went away, leaving Robert to continue playing.

Well, now she wants to play again but Robert doesn't want her to mess with the work he's done. She's complaining to me and says "Mooooom! Robert do mine!" In her mind that means Robert's playing with my toy.

That was a pretty long story just to show that my little girl is Tarzan.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww! I am so glad she liked her present. I heard she liked Word World and thought she would enjoy that a lot more than another article of clothing from her Godmother from afar...

Thanks for sharing!

The Coleman Family said...

I have to say that your fashion sense has always been a hit. She is emotionally attached to the pink hooded sweater.
Here comes Colleen wanting to play the game again. By the way, whatever did we do before gallon-size Ziploc baggies? Fits perfectly.
-Cate

Neil said...

I love how kid phrases become part of the family lexicon. I still occasionally call scissors "cutting sticks" (thanks E!). And Mackenzie has added "same-same" (like same, but... samer?) and "pitty good" (how was the movie? Um, pitty good).
Amelia so far has only added "mwah" and I don't think that will catch on.

Anonymous said...

Ziplocs rock! I especially like the snack size and the quart-size...

The Coleman Family said...

I still fight to say colander instead of "spaghetti stop water go through" (and don't aways succeed). -Cate

Anonymous said...

I know, I know, this is a Coleman blog, but I think I've got a cute one I'd like to throw in the ring...
Short Cate used to say "carry you?" when she wanted to be picked up and "down goes?" when she wanted to be set down.

Anonymous said...

OK, time for Nonna to jump in: remember the big red magnet---a sticky metal finder. Or the airplanes landing---taking on (opposite of taking off).