Saturday, January 17, 2009

A lesson in chess

I have to share another bright spot in the struggle to teach our kids (how to be kind, Golden Rule, etc.).

Today I overheard Robert say this to his friend Luke who had just received a bronze medal at the chess tournament:

Robert: "I'm proud of you Luke. You did a good job."

Luke: "Thank you Robert. You too."

Robert won one chess match and contributed to the Lake Harriet Elementary first grade team finishing third in its division at a huge chess tournament that ran all day today. At the end, Robert and Luke were the only ones left from the team, so they got to pose with the certificate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow -- I'm proud of Robert for being proud!

Unknown said...

I don't have the patience to play so I am proud of Robert's patience!

Da said...

I'm proud of Patrick being proud of Robert being proud, as well as proud of Cavalier being proud of Robert's patience; further, I am reminded of the Dilbert, where they were asked by the facilitator to say something nice about the person on their left, where Alice said about the boss, "I admire your ability to find your left in only two tries."