Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sheesh -- so cold!

It's been below zero essentially all week. When we get down into the minus-teens (and it was minus-20 this morning), some things tend to change. Some tales from the cold:

I drove the car this afternoon. Had it parked out in a sunny spot so it could get the maximum non-frozenness possible, not that it helped much. Most of the winter I could start the car and get out, scrape off the windshield while the car ran and the engine came up to speed, but not today. While the engine cranked and turned over without incident, I couldn't put it in neutral without it killing.

With a minimum of warmup, the gear shift was pretty stiff. Combine that with the stiff feet in the cold and it's not a great drive.

Amazingly, even at minus-10 degrees, there are still patches of water on the streets in the mid-afternoon in spots. Making a note so I don't drive down those streets after it refreezes.

Went through the drive-thru teller at the bank. Rolled down the window -- with some hesitation -- to talk to the teller, and she asked, "How are you today, other than cold?" I answered, "That's pretty much it, just cold."

Last night I walked to choir practice, two and a half blocks away, for this very reason. I figured the car wouldn't even begin to get warm or the stick get unstuck. I felt great about the decision at 6:15 p.m., walking there. Walking back at 8:30, however, was a different story.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to get above zero. I'll probably work from the office instead of home. But we'll see.

2 comments:

Nanny (aka Mom) said...

About going to the bank...gives a whole new meaning to "cold hard cash"....brrrr!

Ryan said...

Pat, something to keep in mind in Minneapolis.

1) If the temperature is below zero you can idle your car (sans driver) for 15 minutes per hour, every hour, without a ticket or a tow.

I used that law many times in the last month I used the Saab regularly.

Oh, and the Saab started up without much of an issue last week on the colder of the cold days (Tuesday) and was shifting in a few seconds.

I think Swedish cars are better built for freezing cold weather than Japanese. :)