Saturday, January 3, 2009

That Elizabeth trip with Dad

Cate mentions that Elizabeth was off on a special trip with me this weekend. I'm not so sure how 'special' it was, though.

The last time I took Elizabeth with me on a basketball trip, we had a great time in Gettysburg, Pa. But that was a trip planned ahead of time, in part around her. This time, not so much. I went to kiss her good-bye Friday night on my way out the door and she asked, "Ooh, can I come?"

Robert had gone to a game with me in St. Paul earlier in the week, so I think she was feeling a little left out.

Little did she know it would require about 13 hours in the car and not much in the way of kid-friendly activities. I didn't even book a nice hotel because I thought I was traveling by myself. The game was in Grinnell, Iowa, at 1 in the afternoon, so we didn't really have time to seek out anything interesting to add to the itinerary. We stopped at a gift shop in town, which had absolutely nothing to offer, even to the point where Elizabeth noticed we were the only ones in the store, and said, "We can't even sneak out!"

She also had hot chocolate -- actually three times Saturday, in fact -- and a cinnamon roll at Saints Rest, a coffee shop in town. She helped me maintain my cover (I went to the game unannounced) and watched it with me, and was interested for a while but even a 130-109 game couldn't hold her. She was patient as I talked to players after the game.

Where she broke down was after two hours in the car on the way home, when I was suggesting we would stop anywhere but an Applebee's.

See, we were about 65 miles south of the next Applebee's on the interstate, and the road was not in great shape, so I was hoping we could stop and eat in hopes that the road would get treated and be a little more drivable. But no, not so much. Her response was, "when we go out to dinner, we never get to eat anywhere NICE!"

Real tears. And yes, apparently Applebee's is the definition of nice.

So, Ryan confirmed for me that the next Applebee's north of us (there was no chance I was backtracking 20 miles in that weather) was in Mason City, Iowa. And Elizabeth wanted to wait. So we trudged north at anywhere from 40-55 mph to get there.

Elizabeth ordered steak, but I was impressed: The first thing she ate off the plate wasn't the steak, or the gigantic baked potato (with its -- honest to goodness -- three tablespoons of butter), but the zucchini. And then the broccoli. She rattled off for me all the things she loves about Applebee's: the kitsch (my description) on the walls mostly. But honestly, it's almost the only place she's ever been on a regular basis, going back a decade. I remember taking her to Applebee's with the Jensens when she was a baby. Before she ate, frankly. And it's the place she would go to dinner with Patty most frequently. (Breakfast, IHOP, different story.) So it's sentimental value for her. Much like ... uhh ... yeah, I can't come up with anything for me. We stopped going when we started needing to feed and entertain three kids there.

My car doesn't have a functioning CD player, so we were at the mercy of the radio the whole trip. Elizabeth's popular musical appreciation is somewhat limited, but she's familiar with just about anything the folks at Kids Bop have covered, which apparently includes John Mayer's Waiting for the World to Change. I got a kick out of listening to her sing that.

I'm sure she'll remember it as boring, and I know it was for her. But it was nice to have her riding shotgun. And if I have more than five minutes' warning we can work on the itinerary with her in mind.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This doesn't sound like a terrible trip. I'm not sure I've ever impulse-traveled. Anybody else have a throw-a-change-of-clothes-into-a-bag-and-go story?

Anonymous said...

We had a good time back home. Another library trip to "check out" tickets to local, homegrown mini hands-on science place in Edina called The Works (www.theworks.org).

Robert and Colleen were well behaved AND had enjoyed the place, especially the fun house mirrors, playing optical harp, giant zipper, building Kinex race cars and foam brick forts.

In all an excellent Saturday afternoon, despite the freezing rain.

Tammi M said...

Sounds like it was a good trip, and the sober dose of reality that not all adult life is fun and fancy restaurants :) And from your version of the excursion, Elizabeth was a great co-pilot!

Cate - I'll try to remember the last impromptu trip I took... might have to go back a few years :)

Nanny (aka Mom) said...

You know Pat, what Elizabeth will remember is that Dad didn't hesitate to take her on a trip, he tried to make it fun (as much as possible) and that you bothered to take her to her favorite place to eat (even if it was not your favorite!)
Not a bad memory for an 11 year old little girl..."that she is important to her daddy!!!" Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth did great in the passenger seat, to be sure. It was dark a lot so she didn't get as much reading done as she'd probably wanted, but she didn't sleep a lot either, or complain when dad sang along to the radio.

Worst co-pilot is one that falls asleep early and doesn't keep the driver engaged. Or one that panics when the weather is bad.

Unknown said...

Nice travelogue. I drive a a lot with the kids and the trips have become much more animated recently with the new electronic equipment that each got from Santa.

Pat - time to spring for a new CD player!