Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A net loss, but a clarinet gained

Minneapolis public schools don't offer Spanish, for whatever reason, but they do offer band. So while Elizabeth hasn't been getting twice-weekly instruction in the language anymore, she is getting clarinet instruction once a week.

There was much debate among us as to which instrument Elizabeth should take. Clarinet won out over the saxophone -- she wanted to play the sax but there were already too many playing it in her class.

The good news is that Elizabeth is very enthusiastic about taking an instrument. The bad news is that neither Cate nor I can help her with the clarinet. Both of us have string and brass experience to draw on but neither of us played a woodwind.

So far, though, it hasn't been a problem. Her tone has improved vastly in the week she's been practicing. (Her playing tone, not her speaking tone.)

At this point she can play any song that contains C, D, E, F and G.

Mom even pulled my old music stand out of a drawer in the linen closet for her to use!

So far, so good.

6 comments:

The Coleman Family said...

Kelly posted this comment on Facebook:

I'm really not surprised - you are quite a musical family!!

You may not know this, but her cousin Chris played the clarinet during middle school. It's probably still in the back of his closet along with some of his music that Elizabeth might be able to use. You should ask him to look for it if she needs something a bit more challenging. :)

Jensens6021 said...

Cool to see that Elizabeth is getting into the musical scene. I foresee band trips in her future...

Interesting your school doesn't offer Spanish. Other Minneapolis Public Schools do. I wonder if it's a funding thing.

Ryan said...

Woodwinds aren't that difficult, when you get yourself past the vibrating reed.

Clarinet, though, was one of the harder ones for me to grasp in grade school -- yes, doubters, I picked up the clarinet and saxophone and even the flute at Christ the King. Although the flute and I didn't get along at all. Something about the curvature of the lips made it very hard to play.

Good luck, E. We're getting closer to the 5-piece N'orleans Jazz Band. Pat on the bone, me on the trumpet, Neil on the.... I guess we could allow drums and your clarinet. Way to Go!

The Coleman Family said...

I suppose this means someone needs to take up ... the banjo? What's missing?

Anonymous said...

Way to go Elizabeth...I played the clarinet many, many years ago. The clarinet was my father's favorite! He was a big fan of Benny Goodman. In fact I think I atill have the darn thing in storage.
Looking good my dear; looking good! :-)
Nanny

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.