Thursday, October 2, 2008

Something winter this way comes

Temperature in the low 40s this morning. Hard to get out of bed, plus haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately because I'm doubling as the news editor at work for two weeks.

Pulled the winter coat out. It definitely kept me warm but I wonder how many layers I'll need a month from now.

Our old car, the one we were worried wouldn't get all the way to Minneapolis, is doing great with the colder mornings since I replaced the battery. I'm fairly proud of the original battery getting 109,000 miles but it had two bad mornings earlier this week and it had to go.

Meanwhile, in this weather, Elizabeth is still biking to school. We got her on a new bike this weekend and she loves it. It's a 21-speed that she only uses as a 1-speed at the moment, but it's a good size for her and hopefully she and I can get out and ride together before the end of the biking season.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I'll look at that derailer this weekend, if you would like, after the baptism.

Da said...

In graduate school a Nigerian graduate student joined the lab September 1968. He got his first pay check on October 1st and immediately bought a heavy Dr. Zhivago-like long coat and started wearing it the next day. He didn't understand my question when I asked him what he was going to wear when winter came.

A couple of months later he came to me with a worried look and said "Pat, I'm turning white." For the first time in his life he was in low humidity and his base-black skin was drying up, flaking, and turning his skin gray.