Thursday, October 9, 2008

Daddy's little helper


Was kind of a tough day. Got home and had to finish making and serve dinner. Colleen was asleep on the couch and needed to be woken up so she wouldn't be awake all night.

Robert needed a shower. Elizabeth's homework needed to be checked. She also announced she needed something from the store for school tomorrow. (I haven't told her that I am not going out tonight and we'll make do.)

Empty the dishwasher. Fill the dishwasher. Move the laundry over. Put the kids to bed. And since Colleen was not so tired, that took a while.

But Colleen was my savior tonight. She helped me empty the dishwasher, including drying the dishes that needed extra drying. Then she got the plates and silverware from the table and helped me refill it. It actually was helpful, unlike sometimes when a kid helps and it actually slows the process down.

That was a nice pick-me-up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A word from Nonna,
My mother use to say, "God gave children to the young for a reason." What she never said was that God gave grandchildren to the old for a reason. I have had many reality checks the past few days. Among them, 3 year olds can be very helpful! They can also make you laugh at the darnest things. Like "Nonna, lets go to the coffee store." Also, I have seen the look that could kill from Elizabeth but I also saw my face looking back at me. Then there is Robert's quick reaction to something that he does not like, shades of his father and his father's father.
Everyone will be glad to have Cate home again, but we can manage without her for a while.

Tammi M said...

That picture is too cute! I'm already starting to miss the days of toddler help. We get a little 'tude from one and the other is watching big sister get away with not helping, so isn't as inclined.
But, there are plusses, in that they do other chores and can take themselves to the bathroom. :)