Sunday, May 18, 2008

What Colleen ate

We spent most of the day waiting for Lowe's to deliver the new fridge and washing machine. Waiting and waiting. And since we kept the fridge rather empty, we were light on dinner.

They arrived at 5:15 and were out by 5:45.

We went to Wegmans to replenish the milk supply with the intent of coming back home and cooking, but the kids were rapidly losing patience. So instead of bringing food home, we decided to cut the trip short and just eat there. Wegmans has a good amount of take out options, as well as an extensive salad bar and hot bar, so we got half a rotisserie chicken with roasted rosemary potatoes (Elizabeth's choice) and steamed vegetables.

I put Elizabeth in charge of getting fresh fruit from the salad bar with explicit instructions to come to a consensus with Robert on choices. And I got a couple things from the hot bar, nothing too heavy. Colleen started getting fussy as I was completing my dish (some rice noodles, a couple of mini egg rolls and some breaded fish) but I was chalking that up to the hour (after 6 on a long day).

She got even more fussy as we checked out. Wegmans has some seating upstairs that I had thought we would use but they didn't allow shopping carts up there, so we ate outside.

I set the food on the table and started cutting up the chicken, and Colleen is getting rather insistent about my food. I keep telling her that I'll eat my food when I'm done serving everyone else.

Finally -- and you parents know how it is -- I actually get to eat for myself. So I lift a piece of fish out of the container and Colleen points, and says, "Dad, eat your food!"

And it hits me. She doesn't want me to eat it. She wants to eat it herself. It looks just like a breaded chicken tender.

So what the heck, I give her a piece. She snaps it up.

I give her another. And another. I got one bite. She ate the rest.

So Colleen ate fish.

5 comments:

Alicia Coleman said...

That's great! Now if we could only trick Uncle Neil into liking fish...

Neil said...

I've made great strides in many areas, but fish is still gross.
I think you guys are going to miss that place when you move.

Anonymous said...

They won't miss that place when they move. We have everything in Minnesota or you need it! I guess we forgot to tell you this Colleen ate fish on the shores of Lake Calhoun, at Tin Fish, two years ago.
Nanny and Da ate Roasted Boar in the rolling hill country near Lake City yesterday.
Does it qualify for Slow Food reality?

The Coleman Family said...

We will miss Wegmans, no doubt. Hopefully you will get to experience the joy that is a Wegmans soon enough. :)

Was going to pass along an Elizabeth anecdote that didn't make the mainbar. As we walked through the prepared food section (they give out free bread samples) Elizabeth noticed that "they do our potatoes, Dad!"

Those are the roasted (or grilled in a foil packet) baby reds in seasoning. These ones were whole and had some red spice rubbed on the outside, probably a strong chili powder. Elizabeth liked the seasoning so much she rubbed it on her chicken.

The Coleman Family said...

And mom, I didn't make any claims that it was the first time she'd eaten fish. :)