Sunday, May 25, 2008

What we consider progress

Three hours today and I've already lost track of how many hours yesterday and last week but finally we have exposed all the dirt we want.


This is half the garden -- the half I finished today. The rose bushes are something Cate would really like to get rid of, but I'm afraid they are beyond my ability (and patience) to remove. You can see the "railroad tie" edging in the bottom right.

We don't do "before" pictures -- at least not on this project. It was fairly overgrown and an eyesore. But the last thing I want is for a prospective buyer to stumble upon this blog and see what poor shape we had this in until seemingly moments ago.

On the bright side, I saw 177.0 on the scale this afternoon before I hopped in the shower to get the dirt off. On the dark side, those calluses never really formed on my hands ... ever ... and I have a blister on my right thumb where the shovel handle makes contact.

On the even brighter side: This was a project I thought we might not get to until tomorrow, with both of us home all day (Cate works a full shift on Sunday). So that's one less thing to do on Monday.

I believe I get to leave the planting of this plot to Cate!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Climbing that tree and digging that garden up was a lot easier at 177 pounds than it would have been at 230 pounds. I know!! Great job and I really appreciate knowing what is going on.

Anonymous said...

It certainly looks like you found your way down the tree. Congratulations for keeping focus and a lot accomplished despite a crazy weekend.