Thursday, July 10, 2008

How my wife is like Joe DiMaggio

She's never shilled for Mr. Coffee or married a movie star or hit in 56 consecutive games or had a monument to her in Yankee Stadium. Paul Simon has never sung about her, unless she was Rosie, the Queen of Corona in a previous life. She's never homered more than she struck out or had two brothers play in the major leagues or been inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

But, thanks to Ernest Hemingway, I have always associated bone spurs in the feet with Joe DiMaggio. And that's what the Yankees great and Cate have in common. Today she had surgery to have it shaved down, so she's upstairs resting and the kids are reluctantly watching television since I've forbidden them from clinging to her.

I'm guarding the Vicodin closely.

5 comments:

Jensens6021 said...

Cate- You've been in my thoughts. Hopefully your procedure was quick and successful. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

How is Cate doing??? Do this mean she will not wear ballet slippers any more??? what about spiked heels??

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the podiatrist asked me if I wear high heels often. I laughed. I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn high heels. He said it can also happen when you drop something heavy on your toe and the bone grows too much when it heals. That sounds more like me.

I had a tough time during the surgery. I'm either watching too many medical shows or I have too good of an imagination. Hyperventilated a little but managed not to faint.

Little boot they gave me to wear is exactly that - little. It's supposed to be one size fits all. I may call tomorrow to get the men's size.
-C

Da said...

How soon can she get back into the line-up, even as a pinch hitter? 15-day or 60-day DL? You are a former SID (several times a former SID), how about some info? We're pushing the deadline (sorry), drop dead date (sorry, again)...time my editor needs to know.

Anonymous said...

I'm supposed to be back in the line up on Sunday (scheduled for 8 hr. shift at bookstore) but right now I can't walk. I did a hop/crawl combo to get to breakfast table. Should be interesting.
-C