Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Something old

Sometime about four years ago, my wedding band disappeared.

In all honesty, the ring was large when it arrived, although at the fitting the samples in that size fit snugly. So when I would play ball, or wash the dishes, or take a shower, I would take it off so as not to lose it.

After a couple nights of it falling off my hand while I was asleep, I started taking it off at night as well, and one morning, I couldn't find it on my nightstand.

This wasn't the first time, so while I looked briefly around the bed, I didn't go too overboard and got ready for work. But as days went by, it still didn't turn up. Cate couldn't find it either, and Elizabeth hadn't seen it. I chalked it up to the newly mobile 2-year-old boy in the house and expanded my search to the recesses of his room, the heating vents, etc.

But no luck. And I went without a wedding ring for nearly two years, which bothered me, at least a little.

When time came for me to leave for NBCSports.com in Connecticut, I figured it would be bad for for me to go empty-handed. With our 10th wedding anniversary coming up, I bit the bullet and got fitted for a new plain gold wedding band. I didn't tell Cate because I wanted it to be a surprise. On the day I left, I opened the box and showed her the ring, at which point she told me she'd forgotten I wasn't wearing one.

Two years without a wedding band proved irrelevant.

Well, today I was trying to figure out how to get our recliner out the door and into the POD, turning it on its side and upside down in the process. When turning it upside down, I heard things rattling around inside it, so I felt around and came up with a kid's sock, four pencils, a hair clip, an eraser and some other random small items. After I figured I'd gotten everything, I went back in one last time.

And found the ring.

And Cate had wanted me to take the recliner to the trash! I might not have been so copious about digging around inside if that were the case.

So while this doesn't 100% exonerate Robert, it's a pretty good sign. All forgiven.

13 comments:

Ryan said...

Once upon a time, in a villa far far away (Naples) my lost pager turned up as Sean and Claire's couch was being moved in to their home there.

And that was about 4 years after it was lost in the couch in Fairfax.

All lost Coleman things turn up eventually. Maybe we can find Da's sanity sometime soon.

The Coleman Family said...

Or your sense of propriety?

Anyway, which I omitted in hopes of keeping a long story from getting even longer, I'll have the old one resized and will wear that. Even the new ring, which I had resized this past winter, is already too large again.

Anonymous said...

Many, many years ago your dad lost his wedding ring in an apartment in Rochester, MN. Has anyone found it?
A few years before we left Michigan my mother lost her rings while visiting us and the Millers for Christmas. She had taken them off to wash dishes at the Millers and did not think about them until the train ride home. I found her diamond watch then next to the stereo in our living room but no rings. I was always on the lookout for them but no luck. I had looked in the seats of the grey station wagon several times but one day when I was putting the seat down I saw what I thought was the bolting mechanism for the car seat. It turned out to be her rings! She told me that some day they would be mine. The watch and the rings are mine, safely put away.

Anonymous said...

Ryan, even lost sons...

Jensens6021 said...

That is an awesome story!!

As a person who worked with jewelry for three years, what are you going to do with your version 2.0 band?

Congratulations Donna on recovering your mom's rings. What an incredible story--an odd location for them to be found, but thankfully found nonetheless.

Da said...

The wedding ring I took off in that apartment in Rochester, MN, was that great original rink, the one with the benzene rings on it, the one inscribed on the inside, "In unity there is oneness" ... the 60s, you had to be there. The apartment we crashed in was rented by a friend of Peter Tuhy, a co-conspirator of mine at Brookhaven Natl Lab in the late '70s. When his buddy left Mayo to go to a job in Louisville, KY, Peter reminded him to look for the ring...it's not shown up yet.

The Coleman Family said...

Version 2.0 will go in Cate's jewelry box, next to my DLS class ring, which now fits me again.

Anonymous said...

Luckily some hobbits didn't get their hands on it and throw it into a volcano/mountain/fiery pit thing. Then it would be gone for sure. This is a better ending.

The Coleman Family said...

Elizabeth smiles at that.

"That's funny. That's really funny and from someone random."

She's 10, just got done reading the trilogy.

Neil said...

I've been to Rochester. I didn't see a ring anywhere. SOrry.

Neil said...

Is that picture poorly focused? Or is the ring just actually blurry?

The Coleman Family said...

Well, it IS old. :)

Took the picture with Elizabip's camera.

Anonymous said...

Neil may wear contacyts but he really sees clearly.